SmartAngle: User Guide
SmartAngle is an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) product meaning it is available for sale or licence to companies wishing to manufacture, distribute or sell it under the SmartAngle brand name or their own brand name but it is not available for purchase in individual units from Wordcraft.
This User Guide covers SmartAngle hardware and software.
In this Guide:
- "Click" means click the left mouse button or tap on a touch screen.
- "Select" means find the right thing and click on it.
- Quick start
- Important notes
- Getting started
- Flashing LEDs, timeouts and the "Home" button
- Main screen: degrees, percentages, ratios, falls
- Main menu options
- Digital stops
- Multiple SmartAngles
- Changing the battery
- Questions, comments, suggestions, problems
- About SmartAngle
- If the battery is supplied separately from your SmartAngle: undo the three Pozi 2 screws on the back, carefully install the battery positive ("+") side up and replace the back.
Carefully use the tip of a screwdriver to flip the battery out if the holder is stiff when you need to remove or change the battery.
Use good quality CR2032 batteries such as GP or Duracell - the market is full of cheap or fake batteries that do not last as long as they claim. You get what you pay for.
- Download and install the app. Allow the app to access all the functions it needs.
The app requires Apple iOS 11 or later or Android 5.1 or later.
Please note this message from Apple:
"The following devices are not supported by iOS 11: original iPhone, iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5/5c, original iPod touch, iPod touch 2nd-gen/3rd-gen/4th-gen/5th-gen, original iPad. iPad 2/3/4.18."
Check that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone/tablet.
Don't try to pair your device with SmartAngle - pairing is not required.
Note about support
Before reporting a problem please check:
- You have enabled Bluetooth from your iOS or Android settings screen.
- You have turned the speaker volume up.
- You have checked the support page which lists common problems and solutions.
Note about Bluetooth
Bluetooth is an excellent technology - when it works!
It seems logical, but wrong, to assume that a device like SmartAngle connects directly to its app. That is not the case. A Bluetooth device connects to the operating system: iOS or Android on phone/tablets, Windows or iOS on PCs/Macs
Once this is done the app "asks" the operating system if the device is connected. It then communicates with the device via the operating system
If the device cannot be seen by the operating system (and displayed on the Bluetooth settings screen) there is no way for the app to talk to it.
It has been known for operating systems to "forget" about a device, drop the connection to it or refuse to see it. This usually goes away if Bluetooth is disabled and then enabled again. Check the Bluetooth settings screen to see if SmartAngle is seen a few seconds after you press the button.
Note about iOS and Android
Apple and Google specify different "human interfaces" for their devices so the screens displayed by SmartAngle are not the same on both operating systems.
Unlike iOS, which is totally under the control of Apple, Android tends to vary from one device to another - manufacturers "tweak" Android for their devices. This can be a problem when trying to explain how to do things.
So, it is important to understand the meaning of the three buttons that appear at the bottom of an Android screen.
From left to right:
- The back arrow goes back - to the previous thing you were doing, the previous screen in an app, the previous web page in a browser, the previous app. Each press takes you back one step.
- The circle takes you to the menu, normally your home page.
- The square shows the list of apps that are currently running and you can close an app (stop it running) by swiping across it in this display. Some people are happy with dozens of apps running, others prefer to close an app after using it so their display looks tidy. It's a personality thing!
Pressing any of these can push your current app into the background - Windows users might like to think of this as "minimising" the app.
Under iOS the app will stop running and lose connection with SmartAngle when the "Home" button is pressed. If the app is selected while in the background it will display a message asking for the SmartAngle button to be pressed so it can reconnect.
Under Android the app carries on running while in the background but it turns off voice messages and warning tones.
- The app runs in landscape mode only on small screens so the text can be as large as possible. It runs in both portrait and landscape mode on some larger screens.
- The illustrations in this Guide were captured from an Apple iPod Touch 6th Generation. Things may look slightly different on your type of device.
- Press the button on SmartAngle before loading the app on your phone/tablet. That way your phone won't go to sleep before it has a chance to talk to SmartAngle.
- SmartAngle provides an extra hand when levelling
- Measure in one place and read the angle on your smart phone or tablet at a location convenient for you to see.
- "Measure there, read here" leaves both hands free for adjustment and fixing.
- There are two rare earth magnets inside the long side of SmartAngle - so it will stick to any steel surface such as the saw blade shown below.
- Ensure that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone or tablet - check the "Settings" menu.
- Do not attempt to pair with SmartAngle - no pairing is required.
- Press the button on SmartAngle - both LEDs will flash three times then the right hand one will flash steadily.
- Run the SmartAngle app - see the beginning of this Guide for instructions on how to obtain the app.
- The app will take several seconds to connect to SmartAngle - so please be patient.
- The first task is to calibrate SmartAngle as soon as the message below is displayed.
- Select "OK" and follow the calibration procedure outlined further in this User Guide.
- Select "Cancel" to use SmartAngle without calibration - it will use default settings.
- In normal use, after about 5 seconds, the screen will display the current reading in degrees.
Flashing LEDs, timeouts and the "Home" button
- Both LEDs will flash when you press the SmartAngle button then the right hand one will flash about twice a second.
- It will stay in this state until it connects to the app via Bluetooth.
- SmartAngle will switch itself off after about 60 seconds if it cannot connect.
- The right hand LED will flash much slower after SmartAngle connects - about once every two seconds.
- After connection, SmartAngle will switch itself off after about 120 seconds (2 minutes) if there is no activity.
- You can change this "Maximum connection time" in the "Options" menu. Reducing it will save battery power.
- When the SmartAngle app is running a single press of the "Home" button on your phone/tablet will send it to the background and display your home screen.
- When in the background the app will save battery power by putting SmartAngle to sleep (no LEDs flashing).
Main screen: degrees, percentages, ratios, falls
Each time the app starts it displays a screen with the value shown in degrees.
Screen images for iOS are shown here in orange:
Screen images for Android are shown here in yellow:
Tap near the centre of the screen to select the type of display.
Fall in mm/m:
Fall in in/ft:
Locking an orientation
Tap the SmartAngle icon (lower right) to lock the angle relative to the current icon orientation. For example, if the icon is shown with the long side downwards, all subsequent readings will be shown relative to this position. A lock symbol is displayed when the readings are locked. Tap again to release the lock.
The icon normally rotates as SmartAngle rotates - this shows the surface that angles are currently relative to. Locking prevents this automatic rotation so angles are always relative to the current surface. This means that values will go from zero degrees right round to 359.9 degrees.
Tap the "ZERO" button to set the angle to zero. All subsequent readings will be shown relative to this zero angle. Tap again to return to normal operation.
Turning sounds on/off
Tap the speaker symbol (top left) to disable/enable voice messages and stop warnings.
Tap "0, 0.5, 0.1" to change the resolution of the display.
Holding a value
Tap the "HOLD" button to hold (freeze) the current reading. An additional button, "STORE", will be displayed so you can add the value to the stop table is you wish. Tap "HOLD" again to release the hold.
Tap the "STOPS" button to access the table of digital stop angles.
Tap any value to set a stop - tap again to clear it.
SmartAngle uses tones to tell you when you are moving towards or away from a stop - a required angle. A number of useful stops are provided by default.
The image below shows a stop selected at 22.5 degrees so SmartAngle will provide tones from about 17 degrees to 27 degrees with the tone getting higher the closer it gets to 22.5 degrees. The tone becomes continuous when the stop is reached.
See the Digital Stops section for more details.
Using the camera
The SmartAngle app can take a photograph of SmartAngle in use and superimpose the current reading onto the photo. The image may be used for reference or for sending to a client to indicate progress in a job.
- Tap the camera icon.
- Take the photograph.
- Tap "Use image" - this will return to the main SmartAngle screen.
- You can view and use the photograph in the normal way from your photo album
The example below shows SmartAngle reading the fall in guttering.
Main menu options
Tap the menu (three horizontal lines, top right) to access the main menu options.
- Calibration is done in seven steps - rotating SmartAngle between steps.
- Instructions on the screen tell you what to do for each step.
- You can cancel calibration at any time by tapping "< Main Menu" (top left).
- When all seven steps are complete you should tap "Save" to save the new calibration values.
- Step 1: SmartAngle facing you, long side down.
- Step 2: rotated horizontally by 180 degrees - long side down, facing away from you.
- Step 3: with the long side held against a vertical surface, facing towards you.
- Step 4: with the long side held against a vertical surface, facing away from you.
- Step 5: upside down facing you - easily done by holding it under a table top.
- Step 6: on a short side with the button bottom left.
- Step 7: on a short side with the button bottom right.
You can select a background colour for app screens.
The slider allows you to select how much gradient (lighter in the centre of the screen, darker towards the edges) is applied to the background colour.
Sounds and other options
Note: you must tap on "Save" (top right) to save any changes you make to the options.
- You can disable/enable the voice messages SmartAngle uses to tell you the angle after the value has stabilised for a few seconds.
- The "Voice stability time" is the time, in seconds, that SmartAngle will wait for a value to settle before reading it out.
- You can select the start and stop tones used when SmartAngle approaches any digital stops you have set.
Scroll the screen on iOS to see more options.
- LEDs use power and will shorten battery life when on. By default they do not flash when you approach a stop angle but you can enable them here.
- The "Maximum connection time" defines how long, in seconds, SmartAngle will stay awake before going to sleep to save power. SmartAngle my be woken up by pressing the membrane switch.
- The "Show diagnostic messages" function is used during software testing. If selected it will display the raw data from SmartAngle on the main screen
Standard stops are provided with the app.
These are create by you and are displayed in the units you selected (degrees, percentage, ratio, mm/m, in/ft) as well as degrees. See below for details about adding custom stops.
Saved hold points
Stops may also be added directly from the main screen using "HOLD" followed by the "STORE" button..
Scroll the Digital Stops screen to see stops created in this way - they are shown below the standard and custom stops.
iOS: select the stop to be deleted, swipe left on it then tap "DELETE".
Android: select the stop to be deleted, tap the menu (top right) then tap "Delete".
Adding custom stops
iOS: tap the plus ("+") symbol (top right).
Android: tap the menu (top right) then tap "Add".
- The SmartAngle app will try to connect to the nearest SmartAngle.
- If it finds more than one SmartAngle within range it will try to connect to the last one you used.
- If it finds a SmartAngle different from the one you last used it will ask for permission to use it.
- After giving permission you will have to press the button on the front of SmartAngle to restart the connection.
- Note: connection will take a little longer if the SmartAngle is not the same as the last one you used.
Changing the battery
SmartAngle uses a single CR2032 button cell battery.
We could have added a circuit to check the battery power - but such a circuit itself uses power and would drain the battery faster.
If the LEDs become very weak, or if weird things start to happen (such as regular disconnection from the app), try changing the battery.
- Unscrew the three 3mm x 6mm Pozi #1 countersunk screws on the back of SmartAngle.
- Separate the lid from the base.
- Use a finger and thumb to carefully unclip the old battery from the holder. (See note below if it is stiff.)
- Gently push the new battery into the holder with the positive ("+") side upwards towards you.
- Replace the lid and refit the three screws.
The clips that hold the battery in place may be very strong - making it impossible to remove the battery with your fingers.
In this case you can use the end of a screwdriver to flick the battery out of the holder.
Take great care that you don't damage the printed circuit board when you do this.
When replacing the battery, first put it into the side of the socket opposite the two longest connectors before pushing down on the other side so that it snaps into place.
Please check the SmartAngle support page if you have a problem installing or using SmartAngle.
In the UK consumer rights are protected by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
In this warranty:
- "SmartAngle" used alone means the combination of SmartAngle hardware, its firmware and the SmartAngle software app;
- "you" means the original purchaser of SmartAngle;
- "Wordcraft", "we" and "us" mean Wordcraft.
Wordcraft warrants that SmartAngle is of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose as defined by us, free of defects, safe to use, reasonably durable and as described in this document, on the Wordcraft web site and in Wordcraft marketing material ("the requirements").
- For a period up to 30 days after purchase you have the right to return the SmartAngle hardware (at your expense) for a full refund should it not meet the requirements. During this period, if the problem is with the SmartAngle App, we may make one attempt to fix it before you can claim a full refund.
- For a period up to six months after purchase, if we cannot show that SmartAngle met the requirements at the time of purchase, you have the right to a replacement or repair. If an attempt at repair is not successful, or if we choose not to attempt a repair or to provide a replacement, you have the right to a full refund.
- Beyond six months after purchase you have to show that SmartAngle did not meet the requirements at the time of purchase before you can claim a repair, replacement or refund (full or partial).
In all cases, the limit of our liability shall be the price paid by you at the time of original purchase and we shall not be liable for any consequential loss suffered by you or any third party.
Proof of purchase is required to enable you to benefit from this warranty.
This warranty will not apply if SmartAngle has been damaged or misused.
The small print
© 2019 Wordcraft International Limited
- SmartAngle is a development of Wordcraft.
- SmartAngle is a registered design of Wordcraft.
- "SmartAngle" is a registered trademark of Wordcraft.
- "SmartAngle: measure there, read here" is a registered trademark of Wordcraft.
- "SmartAngle: an extra hand when levelling" is a registered trademark of Wordcraft.
- SmartAngle firmware and software ("the SmartAngle app") are copyright by Wordcraft.
- SmartAngle software, documentation and other intellectual property rights are subject to world-wide copyright belonging to Wordcraft International Limited.
- The contents of this User Guide may change. The latest version is always on the web site.
- In no event shall Wordcraft International Limited be liable to anyone for special, collateral, incidental or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of the purchase and use of these materials. Moreover, Wordcraft International Limited shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever against the use of these materials by any third party.
- Wordcraft has a policy of actively encouraging the legal use of its intellectual property rights by other hardware and software manufacturers. Requests for permission to use any of these rights should be sent to Wordcraft International Limited.
Other company or product names shown in this User Guide may be a brand name or a trademark of each company.